shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage

  • From: Michael Schwartz <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Drummond Reed <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:17:31 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

The benefits are simple: XRI provides a registered namespace like DNS.

DNS is very limited. It works great for looking up IP addresses, but its not really good for much else.

Like DNS, with XRI, organizations control their own namespace. So when I registered
@gluu, my organization's i-number is : @!DA85!5F98!95A1!CA3B

I can extend this namespace as I see fit, for example:
@gluu*mike = @!DA85!5F98!95A1!CA3B!ABCD

A better naming system would have a myriad uses. How can two people exchange data? How can you lookup organizational data? How can you reference global groups? It would also provide an easy solution for SP-initiated authentication (right now you can't do a lookup on a person, so we are thinking of all the crazy work-arounds). Really, the benefits of being able to globally name things are too numerous to list.

The Internet architects created a Internet scale naming system to replace the hosts file, but they didn't see the name to create an Internet scale /etc/passwd file. XRI answers this finally.

- Mike

Michael Schwartz
Gluu
Founder, CEO