shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Parseable audit logs for SP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Parseable audit logs for SP

  • From: Philip Brusten <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Parseable audit logs for SP
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:14:38 +0100

On 9-2-2011 16:11, Cantor, Scott E. wrote:
[...]
OTOH I can not thinkof any good use of User-Agent and Protocol (should that
mean http/https?) fields, IMO these would only generate noise. SP entityID
seems to be redundant with the application id, if that's true, I'd keep the
application id.
Agree with the latter
EntityID is useful if you analyse the logs outside the context of that SP. In that case the SP entityID says more than applicationID which is just an internal mapping.
, but Protocol presumably means SSO protocol, which I believe I track now,
and I think is useful for troubleshooting. User-Agent I'm not sure about, but
I think that in many cases people don't log it in their web server, so I
think it might be useful.
Indeed, I was pointing at the SSO protocol.
User-Agent is easy for end-user support. The first thing I usually ask when a user has trouble logging into an application is to try a different browser, that way it would be easy to verify. But in a way it's not strictly necessary.

[...]

I think I would probably end up creating something that was pattern-based and
allowed people to specify how they wanted the fields ordered, or omitted, and
then created log output through the existing library.
Seems like a very good idea. You could do it the Apache-way, with a default common log format.

Philip