shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Non persistent cookies and the centralized discovery service

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Non persistent cookies and the centralized discovery service

  • From: "Cantor, Scott E." <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Non persistent cookies and the centralized discovery service
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:57:22 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

> On consistency, My feeling from talking to some users (OK, my kids and their
> friends) is that they don't care.

If we want to go there... ;-) I think all of this is subordinate to the fact
that federation is always going to be hard if local authentication remains in
place, and is quite easy for users to muddle through when it's not no matter
how weird the UI gets. Choice is what screws them up.

> It could also be said that there is the confusion "Sometime I have to log in
> after I see the DS, sometimes I don't".

True.

> I suppose I could buy that when we have SLO implemented we then might
> have to add the DS in as well but in the face of these
> technical hurdles what's another round trip... (yes, I'm being flippant)..

I think that is worth thinking about....would we be creating a barrier to
logout? Probably attractive to some of us, but not necessarily something to
do lightly.

> On the whole however, I'm not feeling a wave of enthusiasm so far....

I think it's ok for certain cases, probably the ones Brad is thinking of.