shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Idp-ext-delegation & 2.2 idp

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Idp-ext-delegation & 2.2 idp

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Idp-ext-delegation & 2.2 idp
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:22:00 -0500

On 11/18/10 4:52 AM, Etienne Dysli wrote:

> So the delegation extension needs to be fixed everywhere it expects
> MessageFormatter.format() to return a String. This can be simply
> accomplished by appending a call to FormattingTuple.getMessage() to
> every call of MessageFormatter.format(). There is no need to switch from
> using org.slf4j.helpers.MessageFormatter to java.text.MessageFormat.

I thought about fixing it your way, but doing that would mean that the
extension going forward would *only* work with IdP 2.2, using slf4j 1.6.
I'd prefer to avoid breaking backward compatibility with IdP 2.1.x if
possible. Since these changes are just string formatting and
non-critical, I decided to ditch the slf4j MessageFormatter usage
entirely and just switch to using the java.util.Formatter style of
formatting, via String.format(...). This way the extension should
continue to work with either IdP 2.1 or 2.2.

I also fixed the Liberty profile constructor error you previously reported.

As always, any testing feedback you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent