shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:20:28 -0700 (PDT)

Our login screen has one button that says 'Log in'. Possibly someone
could be tricked into clicking that -- with an empty password.
Seems like a lot of work on the attackers part for very little gain.
I imagine the shib login screen is similar.

One could also fill the username/password fields and make browsers
bruteforce the IdP login page. I recommend reading Paul Stone's "Next
Generation Clickjacking" presentation at BlackHat Europe 2010
(https://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-eu-10/bh-eu-10-archives.html#Stone)
for some nice attack ideas. ;)

It is not so hard to protect a login page from from xsrf. This has to be done regardless of the iframe issue.

Right - the attack could be to overlay your login button with an element
that triggers a POST to http://all.your.passwords.are.belong.to.us

We tell our users to check the URL of the login page. It they do that there won't be any iframe issues. If they don't do that then a fake login page is the much easier attack path.

In any case the additional header would cause us no harm.

Jim