shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Clickjacking: X-Frame-Options HTTP header for the IdP
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:54:57 -0700 (PDT)

Our login screen has one button that says 'Log in'. Possibly someone
could be tricked into clicking that -- with an empty password.
Seems like a lot of work on the attackers part for very little gain.
I imagine the shib login screen is similar.

Most of our users don't use a really recent IE8, so the new header
would do them no good. It wouldn't hurt them either. It would be
nice to have a solution for everyone.

As far as the login page in an iframe: If you do that the URL of
the IdP doesn't show up anywhere, does it? How would the user know
this is the IdP's page and not a fake? Why would someone do that?

Jim

I would like to protect our IdP's users from clickjacking attacks [1] as he
IdP's login page could be abused for those attacks. To mitigate clickjacking
attacks, the X-Frame-Options header has been introduced [2].

There are institutions who include the IdP login page as an iframe. This
would no longer be possible if the X-Frame-Options header is used. For our
federation, that wouldn't be a problem. What about the deployments you see?

Do you agree that using the X-Frame-Options header would raise the security
for the users?