shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] attribute-encoder.xml?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] attribute-encoder.xml?

  • From: Karsten Huneycutt <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] attribute-encoder.xml?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:04:13 -0500

Hello --

On 03 Feb 2010, at 13:45 , Chad La Joie wrote:

> On 2/3/10 1:27 PM, Karsten Huneycutt wrote:
>> If the goal is ready access to data connector definitions for deployers,
>> why not break those out into a separate file instead?
>
> Well, you can already do this.

Then maybe that should be the default?

>> My concern with splitting these two definitions apart centers around
>> adding new attributes to be resolved and having to add this in two
>> separate yet very coupled files. Plus, these two functions, while not
>> necessarily the same in code, are logically part of the same attribute
>> definition -- one won't function without the other.
>
> I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things where any
> suggested changes will make the file(s) make more sense to some and less
> sense to others.

Add me to the "less sense" column. To me (and also from a practical
perspective of adding awareness of a new attribute), the attribute definition
isn't complete without the encoding rules. While I agree that the current
file is a little verbose and hefty, I think moving the encoding definitions
really only moves the verbosity and sacrifices clarity.

KH

--
Karsten Huneycutt
ITS Identity Management, UNC Chapel Hill