shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:32:20 -0500

Paul Hethmon wrote on 2009-02-25:
> Well, I guess that's what I'm typically orchestrating, just on a smaller
> scale. Typically 3 to 5 SP apps with 15k to 25k users.

Yes, I'm being generic. A federation can be anything you use to facilitate
this, my point is just that we designed for that approach, not for
explicitly dropping each piece of metadata into a directory, because we do
NOT want people relying on anything but the metadata for revocation and
preventing other exposures.

While testing, of course, that's pretty common, but in that case it's quite
easy to just put everything into one file, like a "partners-metadata.xml" or
something.

> Yep. Been there, have scars. Though I'm thinking I will write this and
make
> it available. I know what I need in a tool, but I'm going to need some
> feedback from others if what I write is to be useful to a wider audience.
> I'll try to throw out an outline to either here or Shib-Users this week.

The other problem is paralysis by analysis, so don't hesitate to do
something useful.