shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

  • From: Paul Hethmon <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:24:27 -0500

Title: Re: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

> Given my experience so far, my SP operators don't really have the
experience
> to manage their own metadata normally (not that I have a lot more).

Right, which is why we don't expect them to do it. You join a federation,
point at their metadata, get their signing key "somehow", and you're done.

Well, I guess that’s what I’m typically orchestrating, just on a smaller scale. Typically 3 to 5 SP apps with 15k to 25k users.

> I guess actually
> I'm thinking more of the Shib configuration files (both IdP and SP) rather
> than the actual metadata.

Well, here's how it works...we ask for people to help write tools, nothing
happens, rinse, repeat...

Yep. Been there, have scars. Though I’m thinking I will write this and make it available. I know what I need in a tool, but I’m going to need some feedback from others if what I write is to be useful to a wider audience. I’ll try to throw out an outline to either here or Shib-Users this week.

Paul

-----
Paul Hethmon
Chief Software Architect
Clareity Security, LLC
865.824.1350 - office
865.250.3517 - mobile
www.clareitysecurity.com
-----

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

 -- Terry Pratchett, Discworld