shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] configuring a metadata file or directory
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:53:18 -0500

Christopher A Bongaarts wrote on 2009-02-25:
> In the immortal words of Tom Scavo:
>> AFAIK Shibboleth has always required metadata to be configured on a
>> per-file basis. It would be more convenient (and less error prone)
>> for deployers if there were a configurable metadata directory Then
>> all you have to do is drop a metadata file into the directory and go.

That doesn't really make much sense to me in light of the fact that metadata
is almost always pulled from a remote location. We don't see any non-toy use
cases in which people would be explicitly pointing at files anymore, other
than intra-campus cases where you're managing SP metadata on the IdP host,
and that's basically one file.

> I'm guessing it's "nobody's asked for it yet"....
>
> I think it would be a useful feature. Would you like to write it up
> in JIRA or should I? ;)

It's already in Jira I believe. I don't have any plans to do so for the
reason above. Local files are an exception case, not the norm.