shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:12:06 -0500

Peter Williams wrote on 2009-02-12:
> Another motivating argument is that deployment-focussed folks simply want
> talk to and mashup with the many oauth sites (who show little sign of
> adopting saml/shib or more formal sts architectures).

Nobody is being prevented from "talking to" OAuth sites. What would you like
Shibboleth to do to make this easier? Identify a single thing that the IdP
or SP could do that helps. They simply don't address the same problem areas
with the same assumptions.

I absolutely think there's a place for IdP-less security for a web service.
Adding an IdP into that contorts the protocol to such a degree that it's not
OAuth anymore. That's not a criticism, just how I see it.