shibboleth-dev - Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:28:33 -0500

I'm interested in feedback on whether I should move my Windows builds for
the next SP update to Visual Studio 2008 (compiler v9.0) or stay on 2005?

The main upside I can see is just staying current and avoiding compatibility
problems later. I'm sure there are probably some other benefits, but that's
not usually anything I have time to look into.

The main downsides as I see it:

- takes up time (probably ~10-20 hours of work)
- small risk of runtime breakage, though I wouldn't expect that

The big issue: it's a runtime library change, so unzipping the new files on
top of the old files won't necessarily "just work" if you don't have MSVCRT9
installed. That isn't a hard problem, the runtime is publically available in
an installer that you can run pretty much any time. But it's worth noting.

Just wondering if people think the small hassle is worth the upgrade.