shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Soliciting feedback: update MS compiler or not?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:29:08 -0500

André Cruz wrote on 2009-01-28:
> I'm for it. It seems everyone on the MS world is using 2008 anyway. As
> long as you continue to update the SP SDK. :)

Well, the SDK's really in a scratch state right now anyway. When I put
something out that's real, it would be whatever I was using at that point.

While the .NET world certainly stays current (that's what being on an
unstable moving target of a platform requires), people doing C/C++ tend to
lag. People finally got off VS6 three years ago, but a lot of open source
projects tend to lack makefiles for the newest compilers, so I end up having
to do that work.

Mostly the old project files convert pretty well these days, though. The
real effort is because so many projects are poorly designed for building on
Windows, and that's the same work to fix no matter what the compiler is.