shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] how to deliver personal infocard keyinfo to app?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] how to deliver personal infocard keyinfo to app?

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] how to deliver personal infocard keyinfo to app?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

How about a base64 of an sha1 of the modulus? That's a mathematical
thing. All languages ought to do it about the same.

I don't know enough about the RSA algorithm, but I was under the impression
only the two numbers were unique, not just the modulus. That's why I was
trying for a known key format, rather than trying to invent some way to hash
multiple numbers and accidentally screw it up.

The modulus is a big random number, which is the unique part. The
exponent is small number, very often the same for many keys. If we were
going to do anything with the key we would need both. If we're only
interested in uniqueness the modulus is enough.

For DSA the 'Y' value performs the same uniqueness function. Infocard
seems not to use DSA however, so that's maybe not an issue.

Jim