shibboleth-dev - RE: Implementation of constrained delegation

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Implementation of constrained delegation

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Implementation of constrained delegation
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:57:11 -0400

> You got me there. For me, "application protocol" is a highly overloaded
> term, and I doubt that I got the deeper meaning of this question.

Josh had an effective way of asking the question more abstractly. The more
concrete way is, what exactly is the communication protocol between the
client and server in your application?

SOAP is an application protocol, for example, as is HTTP. XMPP is another.

Some protocols support things like SAML directly. Most don't.

For "Shibboleth" to have anything to do with the solution, chances are SAML
has to be involved.

> The application protocol I'm trying to support is a solution at our Uni
> that sends text messages, containing announcements, grades, ... to
> mobiles. It's a propreitary solution, therefore, I can adapt the
> protocol to my needs - which I was going to do because I wanted to
> implement something that can be used for more than just a few solutions.
> "Delegation the shibboleth way" - whatever that will turn out to be.

The Shibboleth model is to ask the IdP for a security token to do something.
Then you have to bind the token to the application protocol.

> Does anybody think it's possible to find a common point of view about
> how delegation in shibboleth should be done, within the next 2 months?

I doubt it, no.