shibboleth-dev - Re: A problem with IdP metadata generated by TESTSHIB TWO

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: A problem with IdP metadata generated by TESTSHIB TWO

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: A problem with IdP metadata generated by TESTSHIB TWO
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:05:30 +0100

The failure is due to the fact that both Scott and I assumed there had to be an ID in the subject. Now if the IdP and the SP can't agree on a name format then no ID is sent.

Tom Scavo wrote:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Jie Lv
There were 2 lines of
"<md:NameIDFormat>urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:transient</md:NameIDFormat>"
in the element <md:IDPSSODescriptor>, and there was no < md:NameIDFormat >
in the element <md:AttributeAuthorityDescriptor>.

When this metadata was used, in idp-process.log I got something like:

Error:
[edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.idp.profile.saml2.AbstractSAML2.ProfileHandler:702]:
No principal attribute supported encoding into a supported nameID format.

I had to manually delete 1
"<md:NameIDFormat>urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:transient</md:NameIDFormat>"
from the element <md:IDPSSODescriptor> and added 1 to <
md:AttributeAuthorityDescriptor>. Then this problem was solved.

Was it just me, or someone else have also met similar problems?

This issue came up recently in the OASIS SSTC. I don't think the
issue is fully resolved but there doesn't appear to be anything in the
spec that requires <md:NameIDFormat> to be in metadata. Do we really
want an exchange to fail if the corresponding <md:NameIDFormat> is not
in metadata?

Tom

--
SWITCH