shibboleth-dev - metadata fetch behaviour

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

metadata fetch behaviour

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: metadata fetch behaviour
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:29:46 +0000

This is a broad question about both the 2.0 IdP and the 2.0 SP.

With 1.3, we all made cron jobs to go fetch and verify metadata periodically. In 2.0, both the IdP and SP support performing periodic fetch and verify themselves, along with cacheing a local copy. This is all good.

My question is whether the new code always fetches the full file, or whether they try and optimise bandwidth by not fetching the body if the file hasn't changed since the last fetch?

Obviously if the new code did do this, we might be more sanguine about telling people to poll more frequently.

-- Ian

P.S. I don't think that you'd need to preserve "last fetch time" over a restart; it would be perfectly fine for the code to always fetch when it was restarted.