shibboleth-dev - Re: metadata fetch behaviour

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: metadata fetch behaviour

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: metadata fetch behaviour
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:36:32 +0100

The IdP performs an HTTP HEAD request and only if the last update time is newer does it perform a GET. It tries to be a good netizen. :)

Ian Young wrote:
This is a broad question about both the 2.0 IdP and the 2.0 SP.

With 1.3, we all made cron jobs to go fetch and verify metadata periodically. In 2.0, both the IdP and SP support performing periodic fetch and verify themselves, along with cacheing a local copy. This is all good.

My question is whether the new code always fetches the full file, or whether they try and optimise bandwidth by not fetching the body if the file hasn't changed since the last fetch?

Obviously if the new code did do this, we might be more sanguine about telling people to poll more frequently.

-- Ian

P.S. I don't think that you'd need to preserve "last fetch time" over a restart; it would be perfectly fine for the code to always fetch when it was restarted.

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities