shibboleth-dev - Re: User Authentication on the IDP?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: User Authentication on the IDP?

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: User Authentication on the IDP?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:00:01 +0000

Jeff,

I've managed to get this to work through a kludge that allows the IdP to check certificate fields passed in by using the container's client certificate authentication, but it was ugly and required a lot of outside infrastructure and some code modification.  Essentially, I just checked SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN after mod_ssl did all the proper trust stuff on the certificate and TLS itself.

I've put in a request to Chad to implement proper client certificate authentication in the IdP, with optional fallback to a username/password page that's disabled by default.  Among all of my other requests, he hasn't gotten to this one yet.  However, he says it wouldn't take much time or effort and it's near the top of the list.

That's your hint to vote for this functionality as well, and it will probably make it into the distribution shortly. ;)
Nate.