shibboleth-dev - Dynamic Federation

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Dynamic Federation

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To: "Shibboleth Development" <>
  • Subject: Dynamic Federation
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 14:50:09 -0500

Ping Identity recently introduced the term "Dynamic Federation" and
has finally provided some details describing what they mean by this
term:

http://www.andredurand.com/2007/11/12.html#a761

Does Shib 2.0 provide similar metadata capabilities?

I find their approach to discovery even more interesting. I don't
think an SP can derive a user's IdP from their e-mail address in
general. Suppose, however, the SP obtains a valid e-mail address from
the user directly and then persists a mapping from this e-mail address
to a persistent identifier (ePPN or ePTID) asserted by the IdP. Then
the SP *can* determine the user's IdP from an input e-mail address.
It's kinda like OpenID's approach to discovery, but using e-mail
addresses instead of URLs (which may even be more palatable to users).

Tom