shibboleth-dev - Re: Attribute Queries in Shib 2

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Attribute Queries in Shib 2

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Attribute Queries in Shib 2
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:17:52 -0700

The idea that the user seeing their
attributes being a problem seems silly to me.

Attributes are statements made about the subject by party A for
consumption by party B. I can't see why you'd assume that all such
attributes should be visible to the subject: an opinion (a credit score,
or a medical assessment) or something involving more than one data
subject, for counter-examples.

I'll note that the new Information Card protocols, which are all business, go out of their way to make sure the user gets to preview all the attributes before they are sent to the SP -- even when those attributes are encrypted. It would be a sorry state of affairs if Shibboleth, which started out with an idea of protecting the user, now goes the opposite direction and considers its users an enemy from whom data must be restricted.

Jim