shibboleth-dev - Re: Location of SP Session Cache

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Location of SP Session Cache

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Location of SP Session Cache
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:28:50 +0100

On 2007/05/30, at 16:05, Scott Cantor wrote:

That's why I'm using a database. It's not going to get simpler, the session
cache has to implement lookup by both session key and NameID in order to
support logout. All of that is being buried inside the API, but you have to
support the features. I group session data into a context per session,
that's why I have to have those methods.

And I'll warn you that updating the expiration of the context has to be
fast, you have to do it on every request to enforce inactivity timeouts.

If each session will have it's own context then I can use the context as a key to memcache and store a hashtable with the second level keys and values. This way I don't have to search as I have quick access to a whole context. What do you think?

Also, if we ever get this to work, will it be possible to share this
cache among various SPs of different applications or will their
contexts clash?

Depends on the component using it. The session cache uses the session key as
a context, so it's unique. Other contexts probably will have a fixed value
but will be storing non-overlapping data, unless people are generating
conflicting assertion IDs or artifacts. You can search the code to see all
the create calls.

What you're saying is that the other caches besides the session cache will store everything in a single context per cache? This way the context object will become pretty big to be stored as a whole... humm..

As a side note. Is it possible to build the current trunk shib sp? I checked out all of the repositories but had some problems generating the makefiles...

Thanks,
André