shibboleth-dev - Shibboleth doubts

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Shibboleth doubts

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Shibboleth doubts
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:36:51 +0100

Hello all.

I have a few questions/suggestions regarding the development of shibboleth.

One of the main features that I need from Shib 2.0 is the single logout feature. Right now we logout from the current application the user's in and the IdP, but all the other applications the user has logged into remain oblivious to the logout (we suggest out users to close the browser but not all of them do it).

What I would like to know is how this will be implemented in Shib 2.0. Will the IdP store which applications have requested the attributes and notify them on a logout? How will this information be shared among an IdP cluster? Maybe on some scenarios (small number of SPs and lots of users) it would be better just to notify all SPs and this way no state would have to be stored/shared?

Another feature that I would like is to be able to set an SSO lifetime per Application (and force a re-auth at the IdP). I have been working on this with Shib1.3 (I sent some emails to the -users list but the solution is not really perfect). Since Shib will be handling the Auth as well I think this feature should not be too hard to implement?

Another problem I'm having now is regarding the load balancing of the SPs. Our applications normally have more than one front-end behind a VIP and a cluster os Perlbals. What this means is that sticky sessions would not be very efficient. So, the redirects from the SPs most of the time end up on another SP and some redirects happen that could have been avoided. Most of the applications use a database to store their sessions so a session cache plugin that used this database would be a good option I think. I read in the wiki that Shib2.0 would include a cache plugin that supports ODBC, this will solve my problem right?

Thanks and keep up the good work. :)

André