shibboleth-dev - RE: Problems Compiling 'apache.cpp'

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Problems Compiling 'apache.cpp'

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Problems Compiling 'apache.cpp'
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:22:13 -0500

> > Using a branch is not the same as using a tag, it's subject to
> > problems like this because I don't test every change until I prepare
> > releases.
>
> I know. Again this was never meant as an offense!

I wasn't taking offense, I just want people to understand that reporting
problems on unsupported platforms is basically like asking for a fish vs.
learning to fish (if you'll forgive the English expression).

I'll fix one problem and you're going to find another the next time we make
a change because we don't test there. So it's up to you whether that
constitutes "good enough" for your purposes. I don't want people getting a
wrong impression.

This of course is why Linux distros maintain their own packages.
Unfortunately, we're not that popular yet.

Now, as far as the error goes, we seem to have an upstream patch here to
Apache 2.0 and/or APR that implemented the API change that we're currently
assuming is a 2.2 change (the ap_http_method -> ap_http_scheme change).

Right now, the source assumes that any version < 2.2 has ap_http_method.
We'll need to add an autoconf check for that so we can handle it there
instead of the simpler way. For now, you could modify the mod_shib_20.cpp
source and copy over the #define from the 2.2 version. Not much else you can
do for now.

I'm not sure who got the bright idea to change that API mid-version though.
That seems like a really stupid thing to do...