shibboleth-dev - RE: LightTPD SP module

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: LightTPD SP module

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: LightTPD SP module
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:24:18 -0500

> Is there any work done towards building an SP module for a
> LightTPD web server?

I've never heard of it, so probably not.

> Would it be a difficult task?

Not as hard as it used to be, but I suspect it would be pretty difficult for
anybody but me or a few other people with significant knowledge of SP
internals.

> Is there good developer documentation on the apache module?

Not unless none qualifies.

The modules don't do a whole lot anymore by themselves, most of the logic is
in libraries, so the source isn't horribly hard to follow if you know Apache
modules well.

Modules have to implement a subclass of the ShibTarget class to bridge
between the native server API and the portability layer exposed by that
class to the rest of the code. That's about 80-90% of the module. The rest
is hooking the server in the right ways and making calls to the "work"
methods in the ShibTarget class that check for sessions, handle SAML
protocol messages (the /Shibboleth.sso hook), export attributes, do authz,
etc.

However, I would start by determining if it's even feasible, for example can
you even build and load C++ extensions, does the huge library set crash the
server, that kind of thing. Some skeletal code that just inits the
ShibTarget library would accomplish that.