shibboleth-dev - RE: Packages for Fedora Core

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Packages for Fedora Core

  • From: Bernd Oberknapp <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Packages for Fedora Core
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:33:47 +0100 (CET)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:34:19 +0100

Wouldn't it be possible to submit the patches for xerces-c to the Xerces
project and get rid of the special xerces-c package for Shibboleth, at
least in the long term?

Best regards,
Bernd

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Scott Cantor wrote:

> > Our preference would be for option 3. But then again we could just put
> > xerces-c in the yum excludes list and forget about that issue until
> > there are major dependency issues. At the moment only the xerces-c-devel
> > and xerces-c-samples packages have any dependencies on xerces-c
>
> Well, my sense is that once-burned, twice-shy on this and since we're not
> "officially" supplying packages to these distros, we probably need to start
> being defensive about the dependencies and follow the only convention that
> seems to be possible, putting the version in the package name.
>
> That seems silly, but it appears to be the only way to prevent this from
> happening unpredictably. I thought that library packages were somehow immune
> from this if the SOs were versioned but obviously not. For all we know,
> somebody could slip an opensaml RPM into extras, so even that's not
> guaranteed.
>
> Once a package works its way into release or updates, then it's reasonable
> to rebuild on top of it, but not until then I guess.
>
> So while I'm still inclined to stop putting out RPMs for Fedora, because I
> just think it changes far too much, if we don't, I think we have to reissue
> a new set on top of renamed dependencies. I think those are the choices.
>
> As it is, I would still like to pull the now-unsupported Fedora versions for
> sure, either way.
>
> -- Scott

Dipl.-Math. Bernd Oberknapp Universitaetsbibliothek Freiburg
Tel: +49-761 / 203-3852 Werthmannplatz 2 | Postfach 1629
Fax: +49-761 / 203-3987 79098 Freiburg | 79016 Freiburg