shibboleth-dev - Re: Encryption key strategies

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Encryption key strategies

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Encryption key strategies
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:48:45 -0400

Reimer Karlsen-Masur, DFN-CERT wrote:
Is there always a https tunnel with (strong) encryption between these
parties anyway?
Nope, not in the case where there are intermediate systems between the
IdP and SP.

I was under the impression that Shib IdP and SP (and their components AAR
and shibd) were always talking directly to each other (once the part with
the WAYF server involvement was over). How is an architecture setup that has
one or more intermediate systems between IdP and SP? Are there any proxies
or loadbalancer between them? Or can this only happen if one is not using
the Internet2 implementation of Shibboleth?

To date, it's true. The SP and IdP do talk directly to each other. In the SAML2 profile document take a look at the Enhanced Client/Proxy profile. Realistically you probably wouldn't need encryption in this case because it's assumed that the enhanced client is something you, the user, own and we're not trying to protect you from yourself. It does serve as an example of a N-party flow, where N=3, though. There are many more, much more complex, situations dealing with various proxy and N-Tier use cases as well.

We're currently in the process of developing an implementation of this profile here at GU for a client/server project we're working on. So it's not in Shib yet, but you might be seeing it as an extension to Shib 2.0.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124