shibboleth-dev - RE: standalone authentication request to the Identity provider

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: standalone authentication request to the Identity provider

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: standalone authentication request to the Identity provider
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:08:02 -0500

> Can you tell me if the following is correct?

Why not just read the Shibboleth spec? The format is defined there.

> Taking into account this URL, I understand that the target is the final
> resource I want to access (although I don't know why it is
> needed in the authentication request)

It's not, but SAML requires a TARGET value in the response, so that is the
value used. Put whatever you want.

> and the shire is an HTTP service to which the
> AuthenticationStatement will be sent. This service must then access the
> AA to get the user's attributes and perform the authorization tasks to
> decide if the user finally can access to the target.

That is the location at which the SAML message is sent. Whether a query
happens depends on other factors and is not required.