shibboleth-dev - RE: Configuration Nirvana?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Configuration Nirvana?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Configuration Nirvana?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:23:46 -0400

> Actually, this may not be true; this was in the process of changing /
> opt/shibboleth-sp to /usr/local/shibboleth-sp, so I may have invented
> this along the way. I'd appreciate confirmation of this.

Well, the C++ code explicitly uses paths in some places because there is no
well-defined portable URL syntax that can deal properly with DOS drive
letters. Xerces is broken in various ways, and I was too lazy to write my
own file loading code. The fall back is just using absolute paths, which at
least works on both platforms once the installation path is plugged in.

The Java code mostly loads XML files with the same parsing code, and that
had issues with file paths at one point. I believe I corrected that to some
degree a while back to fix a problem with metadatatool.

So, I would *think* the Java code could handle C:/usr/local/shibboleth-sp
but don't know.

Regardless, it shouldn't matter. The paths or URLs should be plugged in
during installation for the most part and wouldn't look exactly the same
anyway. I don't see that as a big deal.