shibboleth-dev - Re: Future of the WAYF discussion

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Future of the WAYF discussion

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Future of the WAYF discussion
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:04:18 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:
I keep wondering why a plugin is a good idea for managing the contents of a cookie. Why not just have a webapp that does it? That way you don't have to maintain plugins for every browser on every platform, worry about browsers that don't allow plugins, or worry about teaching users how to use a browser plugin.

You can't set cookies from a web app except for its own domain, can you? A
webapp that sets such a cookie *is* a WAYF.

You're right, forgot about that.

We can postulate that in fact all we need is a better WAYF, but I don't
think so. And I don't think that everybody agrees with the "always show the
WAYF" idea either.

I'm sure everyone doesn't, but we do have valid use cases where people need to see the WAYF.

The reason you need a plugin is because this is a client problem and it can
only be fixed on the client. We can wait for InfoCard of course.

Yeah lets do that. I trust MS with all my identity data and they've done so well with Passport and Hailstorm. ;)
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124