shibboleth-dev - RE: Future of the WAYF discussion

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Future of the WAYF discussion

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Future of the WAYF discussion
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:57:08 -0400

> I keep wondering why a plugin is a good idea for managing the contents
> of a cookie. Why not just have a webapp that does it? That way you
> don't have to maintain plugins for every browser on every platform,
> worry about browsers that don't allow plugins, or worry about teaching
> users how to use a browser plugin.

You can't set cookies from a web app except for its own domain, can you? A
webapp that sets such a cookie *is* a WAYF.

We can postulate that in fact all we need is a better WAYF, but I don't
think so. And I don't think that everybody agrees with the "always show the
WAYF" idea either.

The reason you need a plugin is because this is a client problem and it can
only be fixed on the client. We can wait for InfoCard of course.