shibboleth-dev - Re: [tf-emc2] SAML 2.0 vs SAML 1.1 - AuthZ use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [tf-emc2] SAML 2.0 vs SAML 1.1 - AuthZ use case

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Yuri Demchenko <>
  • Cc: TF-EMC2 <>, Shibboleth Dev Team <>
  • Subject: Re: [tf-emc2] SAML 2.0 vs SAML 1.1 - AuthZ use case
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:44:24 -0800 (PST)

Yuri:

Ken or somebody, can you update about planned milestones for the OpenSAML 2.0? Or any other (open) SAML 2.0 implementations?

I don't think we have any announced milestones. Now that the SAML 2.0 spec is done, work can proceed on adding SAML 2.0 support to opensaml and to Shib, but at the moment the priority is a next release (1.3) that will still use SAML 1.1 (and 1.0 even, for US Fed e-auth interop). I think the plan is to have some SAML 2.0 support available for use from CVS so folks who want to build on it can start testing. I'm sure Scott can provide more info.

I think you've got the right idea here, but let me wring my hands about adding SAML 2.0 features piecemeal to opensaml 1.x. Obviously research is research, but this is definitely a bad thing to do for software that will be widely deployed, especially if it will be open-sourced. There is a long sad history of "protocol version 1.5" things out in the world (I can show you megabytes of mail on the pain this has caused in LDAP space) that cause enormous confusion among implementors and deployers. Some of this will happen no matter what, but let's not make it worse. <end lecture />

Regarding your interest in the AuthorizationDecision stuff, as you're probably aware there is no use of this in Shib; the minimal support that's there in opensaml 1.x was contributed by someone else. So we'd appreciate your contributions (8^) for 2.0 support.

- RL "Bob"