shibboleth-dev - RE: [inqueue-support] InQueue Service Provider Application

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [inqueue-support] InQueue Service Provider Application

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Steven Carmody <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Dev Team <>, InQueue Support <>
  • Subject: RE: [inqueue-support] InQueue Service Provider Application
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

> so there's the balance point.... using logicalservicename makes reconfig
> easier if you move the service to another host; it makes life a bit
> harder for the person managing the shibboleth.xml if your host is
> serving several applications with the same/similar session and attribute
> requirements.

Harder how exactly?

> It's also worth noting that this approach could create names that are
> readable and have some meaning, altho that's not a requirement, and
> that's a very slippery slope

Not a slope, rather the rock on which we are building our virtual world:
names that have meaning and permanence, naming services that are useful
and well-supported.

As we have discussed, all this naming and registration and security stuff
works against one of the supposed benefits of the brave new web-services
(note lower-case) world, which is the ability to compose new services by
front-ending existing services. But this is the nature of security. If
you're asking me to authenticate and provide info, I have to ask: why?
what am I getting? who is receiving my info? what are they going to do
with it?

- RL "Bob"