shibboleth-dev - Re: WAYF and user "advice"

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: WAYF and user "advice"

  • From: Digant C Kasundra <>
  • To: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: WAYF and user "advice"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:07:07 -0500

My question would be where does that URL appear
(http://www.jstore.com/shibentry.html?userhome=UC%20Berkeley). If
that's a link somewhere, why not just use the URL that bypasses WAYF
altogether? That could also be bookmarked (most browsers let you
right-click a link and bookmark it).

-- DK

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 13:17, David L. Wasley wrote:
> <flame_target asbestos="on">
>
> We've always said the answer to the WAYF is not a security issue
> since a false answer simply results in failure to gain access. So
> why not let the user give "advice" to the WAYF?
>
> This might work in the following way. When the user first goes to a
> new resource, the SHIRE (new term?) could look for a parameter of the
> form userhome=<origin_name> - i.e.
> www.jstore.com/shibentry.html?userhome=UC%20Berkeley
>
> This parameter would be passed on to the WAYF and displayed as the
> "default" origin, er, Credential Provider for the user. I'd guess
> that in 90+% of the cases the user would simply hit RETURN.
>
> If this was supported, then users could "bookmark" the URL (and
> optionally add or even edit the userhome parameter) and then life
> would be good. They could have bookmarked URLs with different
> userhomes for the various origins that know them, etc.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> </flame_target>
>
> David

  • WAYF and user "advice", David L. Wasley, 06/30/2004
    • Re: WAYF and user "advice", Digant C Kasundra, 06/30/2004