shibboleth-dev - WAYF and user "advice"

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

WAYF and user "advice"

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: WAYF and user "advice"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:17:16 -0600

<flame_target asbestos="on">

We've always said the answer to the WAYF is not a security issue since a false answer simply results in failure to gain access. So why not let the user give "advice" to the WAYF?

This might work in the following way. When the user first goes to a new resource, the SHIRE (new term?) could look for a parameter of the form userhome=<origin_name> - i.e.
www.jstore.com/shibentry.html?userhome=UC%20Berkeley

This parameter would be passed on to the WAYF and displayed as the "default" origin, er, Credential Provider for the user. I'd guess that in 90+% of the cases the user would simply hit RETURN.

If this was supported, then users could "bookmark" the URL (and optionally add or even edit the userhome parameter) and then life would be good. They could have bookmarked URLs with different userhomes for the various origins that know them, etc.

Just a thought.

</flame_target>

David