shibboleth-dev - RE: fodder for the v1.2 announcement......

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: fodder for the v1.2 announcement......

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: RE: fodder for the v1.2 announcement......
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:36:21 -0400

> What would we like to say about:
>
> -- v1.2 will interoperate with v1.1 and v1.0..... what, if anything,
> do we want to say at this point about whether the upcoming v1.3 will
> also interoperate with these older versions?

I don't expect any significant interop issues with 1.3. It may (will?) use
differently formatted metadata or more of it, but it will behave basically
the same as 1.2 unless we decide to change something, in which case we'd
probably go back and patch 1.2 also.

> -- is there any value in giving sites a heads up about the upcoming
> SAML 2 set of specifications, and their potential impact? Or is our
> implementation of this just too far in the future at this point, and
> and reference to them would cause needless angst?

I think we only need to say anything about SAML 2.0 if somebody demanded
that we implement something in 1.x that is standardized in 2.0 (i.e.
logout). The audience I'd rather get focusing on 2.0 are the people asking
about portals, forwardable credentials, etc. If we're going to have to
invent profiles for some of this stuff, I'd rather have more machinery to do
it.