shibboleth-dev - RE: origin logging config

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: origin logging config

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Noah Levitt' <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: origin logging config
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:27:03 -0500

> A person has to understand log4j hierarchies and inheritance
> to configure log4j.properties to prevent transaction log
> messsages from appearing in the error log. I think we should
> hide this complexity from users. In my opinion the main
> barrier to wild success for shibboleth is its complexity,
> and I think one of our goals should be to eliminate
> configuration files and settings whenever possible.

I'm not in favor of elimination, only hiding/automating. The problem with
the "make it simple" argument is that as soon as you learn it, then you want
the features back.

> You'd have to configure your special settings in code, in
> LogServ.java I believe, but it would be easy.

Having not looked at Walter's schema, I was just assuming I should be able
to set a property that says "basic" or "advanced" logging. Oddly enough,
it's the basic case that takes all the new work. The advanced piece should
just point at a log4j config file.