shibboleth-dev - Re: origin logging config

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: origin logging config

  • From: Noah Levitt <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: origin logging config
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:09:09 -0500
  • Secret-nsa-message-id: 3b026257dfe9ed894171dbbb76f5b2ba

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:20:40 -0500, Scott Cantor wrote:
> > log4j.properties goes away. LogServ.java looks at origin.xml
> > and configures log4j accordingly. ErrorLogLocation and
> > TransactionLogLocation take a url, for consistency.
> > Supplying a url that is not a file:/// results in a fatal
> > error at startup.
>
> I'm not sure I want to lose all that. What is the problem we're trying to
> solve, exactly? Log4j doesn't seem that hard to configure to me...

A person has to understand log4j hierarchies and inheritance
to configure log4j.properties to prevent transaction log
messsages from appearing in the error log. I think we should
hide this complexity from users. In my opinion the main
barrier to wild success for shibboleth is its complexity,
and I think one of our goals should be to eliminate
configuration files and settings whenever possible.

> Or I guess having a simple way that I can turn off and just use log4j itself
> would be ok.

You'd have to configure your special settings in code, in
LogServ.java I believe, but it would be easy.

Noah