shibboleth-dev - Re: shib certificate problem

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: shib certificate problem

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: shib certificate problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:55:20 +0000

John-Paul,

A URI can be either a URN(urn:blah:blahblah) or a URL(service://hostname/path). It's the broader bucket for each of those unique identifiers. A URN builds off a structured, registered namespace, and MACE has registered one, whereas a URL can be formed by anyone, leveraging the DNS system.

The sitename in Shibboleth is assigned by the federation and, to date, federations have used a namespace such as the one you quote below. Each federation is responsible for giving names to its constituent origin sites.

Hope this helps,
Nate.