shibboleth-dev - Re: Vetting an error message

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Vetting an error message

  • From: "Michael A. Grady" <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: Vetting an error message
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:57:36 -0600 (CST)

For Shibboleth to become a heavily used authentication/authorization system,
it probably is time for a lot more thought to be given to the user
support/help desk sort of questions that will arise. Generic messages like
the below are fine for pre-version 1 and/or not widespread deployment,
but eventually such messages need to include real email address/help
contacts that the user can contact. Just like our WebISO systems do.

As suggested above, one way to handle this is to have a help url registered
for each domain, and a standard url the target side can construct to direct
the user to a service that provides that url for each registered domain.
(Or maybe the help url is encoded in the certificate(s) used for a domain
with Shibboleth? Is that possible?)

> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:38:13 -0500
> From: Scott Cantor
> <>
> Subject: Vetting an error message

> We've been fixing a bug and establishing a default error message for any
time the AA returns a non-XML response, which usually
> happens when the AA is broken for some reason.
>
> Walter and I settled on this:
>
> We were unable to contact your identity provider and cannot grant access
at this time. Please contact your provider's help desk or
> administrator so that the appropriate steps can be taken. Be sure to
describe what you're trying to access and useful context like
> the current time.
>
> We both like identity provider as the least objectionable term, but
express any concerns now before we ship.

--
Michael A. Grady 217.244.1253
Principal Research Programmer 217.265.5635 fax