shibboleth-dev - Some prelim Apache 2 findings

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Some prelim Apache 2 findings

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Some prelim Apache 2 findings
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:55:50 -0400

Just as an FYI, I looked at the docs and played around a bit.

- there is no support in 2.0 for running 1.3 modules
- there is a significant change to the way you register modules in 2.0
- there are not significant structural or API changes to the server
- there is still almost no good documentation for Apache module authors
:-)
- there is a uniform API now that *should* allow easier distribution of
binary DSOs (i.e. no more special EAPI headers)
- there are no significant fixes to the unusual way authentication and
authorization are mixed into the core server or the way you hook those
steps, but there may be better ways to check/setup user "sessions" in
2.0

Summary, I don't think the alpha2 module will need any non-trivial
changes to support 2.0 on Unix or Windows, mostly just some structural
tweaks to the init sections.

Why do I care? I'm building a Windows web host to support a learning
object repository for a research project I'm involved in, would like to
deploy it on Apache 2.0 and Shibboleth from the start to get some
experience with them, and I don't trust mod_ssl for 1.3 on Windows
because Ralf never supported it. The mod_ssl in Apache 2.0 is derived
from the old one, but is largely new and is part of the core
distribution and is not denigrated anywhere in the docs as experimental.

So at some point, I'll check in new versions of mod_shib and
mod_eduPerson that work on Apache 2.0 on Windows, whether part of alpha
2.5 or not.

Why do you (communally speaking) care? I've no idea, possibly not at
all.