shibboleth-dev - AA Attribute Classes

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

AA Attribute Classes

  • From: Parviz Dousti <>
  • To:
  • Subject: AA Attribute Classes
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:22:24 -0400

Here is how I implemented the attributes in AA. This is mostly based on what Scott proposed.

Every attribute (e.g. eduPersonAffiliation) would have a Java class with the same name. These classes extend ScopedAttribute class which in turn extends SAMLAttribute class. These classes provide the opportunity for converting name of the attribute to the standard (e.g. at CMU we have to convert cmuAndrewId to EPPN) and the values (e.g. Staff to staff) as well as anything else a site might want to do to attributes before turning them over to shar.

Attribute classes should be bundled in a jar file (e.g. attributes.jar) and be in the classpath for the tomcat. Name of this jar file also needs to be given in the config file so AA can prepare a list of all known attributes. This is useful to UI to list attributes for user to chose from. Every time a new attribute is added all we need to do is to write a Java class for it and include it in the jar file.

Name of these classes also correspond to attribute names in ARPs.

I added a new command to ArpUtil to list all known attributes. It is currently running at CMU I will push it shib2 soon.

Comments? Questions?

Parviz