shibboleth-dev - RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>, 'Shibboleth Project' <>, ,
  • Subject: RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:04:00 -0800

The intent, perhaps, but as a resource manager I'd still do the concatenation if I was going to rely on uniqueness. That way I don't have to rely on - or constrain - the semantics of the EPPN for any domain.

David
-----
At 1:56 AM -0500 on 1/23/02, Scott Cantor wrote:

> Furthermore, an EPPN from one domain can not be assumed to be unique
across all such domains, i.e. it is not globally unique. Therefore,
as an application or resource manager, I would always make the
association

unique_user_identifier = concatenation (EPPN, <asserting domain> )

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understood the intent to be that EPPN was
universally (more or less) unique?

In other words, I thought EPPN alone was supposed to be unique without
appending anything else to it. Otherwise, why have the right-hand side?