shibboleth-dev - Attributes, and Shibboleth -- entitlements

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Attributes, and Shibboleth -- entitlements

  • From:
  • To: "'Shibboleth Project'" <>, <>,
  • Subject: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- entitlements
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:29:31 -0500

Issue -- entitlements

Scott's comments on the original proposal:

At 1:53 PM -0500 12/17/01, Scott Cantor wrote:
If eduPersonEntitlement is meant to be a general attribute, then it's
namespace isn't urn:xSTOR4 but urn:mace.eduPerson (or whatever).

And you really want the values to be instrinsically unique, so you
should just define it as urn:xSTOR5:contract1234 (or whatever URI you
like) and be done with it. Then you specify the AttributeValue's
xsi:type as anyURI (or probably you define it as a sequence of same).

So I see two proposals I find reasonable for this general idea of
externally defined groups (call it entitlement or whatever you want, it
all feels the same to me):

1) It's useful to collect the notion of these groups under a single
heading in the attribute-space, so we should define a single attribute
within MACE to carry it. This is entirely independent from the decision
to create eduPersonEntitlement in LDAP. That's a separate decision, in
my opinion.

<complexType name="EntitlementType">
<sequence>
<any namespace="##any" processContent="lax" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>
<attribute name="URI" type="anyURI" use="required"/>
</complexType>

<complexType name="eduPersonEntitlementType">
<sequence>
<element name="Entitlement" type="ep:EntitlementType"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>

Eg:

<Attribute AttributeName="eduPersonEntitlement"
AttributeNamespace="urn:mace:eduPerson">
<AttributeValue xsi:type="ep:eduPersonEntitlementType">
<Entitlement URI="urn:mace:xSTOR5.org:contract1234"/>
</AttributeValue>
</Attribute>

2) Shibboleth has no need to group such entitlements under a single
heading.
(This is still basically my opinion.)

Eg:

<Attribute AttributeName="contract1234"
AttributeNamespace="urn:mace:xSTOR5.org:contracts">
<AttributeValue/>
</Attribute>

Any such attribute could specify its own xsi:type and schema if value
content was needed.

Both of these are improvements on my original proposal.

I've heard another comment about entitlement:

-- the use of the urn:mace namespace (rather than the original proposal of urn:XSTOR5) will be a lot easier on info vendors, because they won't have to write an RFC to get their own namespace.

I don't see any "structure of names" issues to differentiate these two proposals.

So, I begin wondering how these might be used at the origin and at the target.

At the AA, its probably important to think about making it easier to organize the various ARPs for presentation to the browser user (either the local administrator, or someone using myAA). As long as the UI allows me to organize the ARPs in a way that makes sense for me (eg like the Bookmarks presentation in a browser), there's probably not an issue.

At the target, we've got to think about both the AAPs and the policy rules used by the RM. Proposal 1 would have an AAP that looked something like this:

brown.edu can assert urn:mace:xSTOR5.org:contract1234 (attribute value)

while proposal 2 would have an AAP something like this:

brown.edu can assert "urn:mace:xSTOR5.org:contracts : contract1234" value + name

Both of these make me a little uncomfortable (see follow note on AAs and the RM).

The policy rule under Proposal 1 would look something like this:

(SecurityDomain)(attribute value)

and under Proposal 2 would look like this:

(SecurityDomain)(attribute value)(attribute name)

(again, see the other note). For all of the other attributes, I think we're at the point where the policy rule would look like Proposal 1. Which makes me begin to lean toward it.