shibboleth-dev - Attributes, and Shibboleth -- Extension

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Attributes, and Shibboleth -- Extension

  • From:
  • To: "'Shibboleth Project'" <>, <>,
  • Subject: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- Extension
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:29:26 -0500

At 12:18 PM -0500 12/14/01,

wrote:
Example 7: Ms. Bar is member of the group "NeedBlindTaskForce". The
institutional LDAP directory has some way of indicating membership in this group.

The corresponding ARM would look like this:

<Attribute AttributeName="eduPersonExtension"
AttributeNamespace="urn:mace:eduPerson">
<AttributeValue xsi:type="eduPerson:ExtensionType">
<group>NeedBlindTaskForce</group>
</AttributeValue>
</Attribute>

When I originally proposed this, I wasn't thinking too much about the AAP, and I was expecting that the RM's policy rules would contain something like NeedBlindTaskForce@SecurityDomain.

However, I think much of the discussion about entitlements also applies to this attribute. So I'd now propose the following for example 7:

(definition of ExtensionType to be the same as EntitlementType)

<Attribute AttributeName="eduPersonExtension"
AttributeNamespace="urn:mace:eduPerson">
<AttributeValue xsi:type="eduPerson:ExtensionType">
<Entitlement URI="urn:mace:brown.edu:group: NeedBlindTaskForce"/>
</AttributeValue>
</Attribute>

This might even enable some useful AAP checking... altho I doubt we're supposed to parse these strings; I fear we're supposed to treat them as opaque.

It would be helpful, tho, if (for Extension) we could require that

SecurityDomain equal that "field" in urn:mace: SecurityDomain:blah

this certainly won't always hold for entitlement, tho.