shibboleth-dev - RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp

  • From:
  • To: "'Shibboleth Project'" <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Attributes, and Shibboleth -- the EPPN swamp
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:24:58 -0500

At 1:56 AM -0500 1/23/02, Scott Cantor wrote:
> Furthermore, an EPPN from one domain can not be assumed to be unique
across all such domains, i.e. it is not globally unique. Therefore,
as an application or resource manager, I would always make the
association

unique_user_identifier = concatenation (EPPN, <asserting domain> )

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understood the intent to be that EPPN was
universally (more or less) unique?

In other words, I thought EPPN alone was supposed to be unique without
appending anything else to it. Otherwise, why have the right-hand side?

I'd agree -- I think that was the intent. But, I think two things have changed substantially since the time we defined EPPN:

1) the shib architecture has changed. To my knowledge, Shib is the only use case we've envisioned so far to use EPPN. Remember -- EPPN was defined before the Shib conversations got real serious. I *think* we were originally imagining that the target web server would directly contact the enterprise directory at the origin site, and would retrieve the EPPN attribute associated with the user, and would compare that string against some local policy rule. (Take a look at http://middleware.internet2.edu/shibboleth/shibboleth-project.html to see how much our thinking about Shib has evolved....). Previously, things like EPPN had to be complete unto themselves -- thus the idea that "EPPN was supposed to be unique all by itself,without appending anything to it". Now, we are appending something to it and to all of the other attributes (we're appending the scoping information).

2) We're now using SAML Assertions to transport Attributes (along with scoping, or domain, information) from the origin to the target. And we're transporting lots of different kinds of attributes (eg Affiliation, enrolledCourse, OU, etc). Our thinking has also evolved on this. We've now got a "standard" way to specify and transport scoping information for all of these (and all of them need scoping).

I'm suggesting that we update how we think of EPPN, and how we treat it, to reflect the huge evolution of our thinking since the time that EPPN was originally defined. That definition of EPPN made sense with the original Shib model (see above url). I think we've moved past that, to a better place, and its time to update EPPN, to be consistent with the rest of our attributes.