shibboleth-dev - shib machine requirements...... final call

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

shib machine requirements...... final call

  • From:
  • To:
  • Cc: Mike LaHaye <>
  • Subject: shib machine requirements...... final call
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:03:58 -0500

I just had a phone conversation with Mike LaHaye at I2 about our machine requirments. I said that our high level requirements were:

-- a development/test environment
- a demo environment
- a source repository

Mike suggested using a pair of linux machines for the dev/test environment, and Solaris for the UCAID Shib production/demo environment.

Any issues/concerns about this approach?

Mike mentioned that they have been using Debian, but that Red Hat is starting to appear in their environment..... do we have a specific preference?

lastly, re source repository, we'd probably start with a simple cvs environment... and then see where the NMI effort/ Neal's effort lead...... does that sound ok?

One other question -- Mike currently has iPlanet DS installed.... do we NEED Openldap, or would iPlanet meet our requirements?

This is the current list of packages (and versions) that we would like to see installed on the machines that I2 will be providing...... comments eagerly awaited......

Linux version ??
Solaris 2.8
Java SDK 1.3.1
Apache 1.3.22
mod_ssl and OpenSSL (whatever's recent; 0.9.6b being used at cmu)
Tomcat 3.3
the mod_jk plugin for apache
gcc/g++ 2.95.3

pub-cookie (http://www.washington.edu/computing/pubcookie/ext/)

Openldap 2.0.11 or better
Mysql 3.23.40 - 3.23.44
Perl 5.6.0

cvs

any specific db libraries?

anything else?

--

THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT IN THE FUTURE

IIS

sometime between now and General Availability (June, 02), we're probably going to have to worry about the new jdk (1.4)