perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Unknown archiver plugin 'esmond'

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Unknown archiver plugin 'esmond'

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Tristan Sullivan <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Unknown archiver plugin 'esmond'
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 16:14:38 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=0uYndiIRW9lChhrjngrmCy1pLwIyqR07tLAJasRXa5s=; b=LArrmDJfddkpaHTzPJvc5ssOG892xPxMMNyNvDud3D2OG16Q9JIfRz+pVEsC8VMDbkGFaManWTZodN/5tb+KEuUhRKCW6zKNUvcavMdTBTo7Qmv03s3D8U7k/nBASxIQ2ePmBjSIVHOEfUTp2mZM7X/zPjksaz7FFo2qOeH/mxP46VrXGVxlsP+eqnDT45scalAh9pDUkcncXoleqaoHI1Cy/lBPv22HAZ3IWa9e+Thlz9YVkThxGoV9+b9NJwQdtGvMA9ObJZf5Xy8Vk0aPq92N+/QRINliltlFVjT/2zsQSiw6vMaXJ01BfmqMSLDPKSPDC6C8cC8TbFVO7XBC5g==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=DZVRp9h22x4Qgd47lltkdSGmLUh63VvBm1K0+cfUPL+HXZ/11b7YVWoshtZzfYmosV3b17e+pTbUFy8TiH7GTU3JVOCA7xIYMdxhzGmqOa21Ymr+BMeEGjtJJ40S2BbmPr3ExVSNc7Hj8UhZge28AR35T1PlqlIACrJ5J754GAL7xC6GjEaCxHeFmiPriyCNqHZNnxOlx0GX6LefPV4NTZ9HU/6p3chKn8tOOPAP+4v904XLyGF4TdxgfVpKyjhukvDgXz4dM6dUse6gStxep/VOL1igetvECGYRTQhIC+f/PfGx/SunvLzG2NUtHry0QbOmEutvSTgfkVMLMhD8BQ==
  • Msip_labels:

Tristan Sullivan writes:

Thanks, that did the trick.

Why this is will become clearer below, but note that adding the archiver plugin to pScheduler will make it accept tasks that archive to Esmond but will not result in measurements being sent to an archive.

If you don't mind, could I just clarify something with you about the WLCG test spec, that's confused me since perfsonar 5 was released? If I look at my perfsonar hosts on the PWA interface, they each have the box ticked "use local Esmond MA". I don't see an option for a local http archive.

There isn’t one and won’t be.  The box that’s there is a holdover from pre-5.0 that, in my opinion, should have been removed once that could be governed by adding configuration to the local system.  Other than Elmond (more on that below), anything involving Esmond became unsupported as of 5.0.  I’d recommend un-checking that box.

PWA is, unfortunately, not as well-maintained as the rest of perfSONAR because the people who’ve worked on it are no longer with us (literally, in one case) and haven’t been for quite some time.   The current iteration is considered to be on its last legs.  We’re in the very early stages of planning its replacement, and that will be the next major change we make in the system.  There’s a lot to be done in modernizing it and we’re not to the point where an estimate of how long it will take is possible.

Which I suppose is why psconfig was complaining about not recognising esmond. But the only file actually present in /etc/perfsonar/psconfig/archives.d/ is http_logstash.json.

Checking the Local Esmond MA box is checked makes PWA insert hard-wired directives to archive to Esmond on the local host.  Re-adding the plugin keeps pScheduler from choking on the tasking up front but won’t produce successful archiving to a nonexistent Esmond.

  Archives in the archives.d directory are read by pSConfig and added to whatever input it gets.  With http_logstash.json installed on the system, archiving to Esmond is redundant.

Am I right in thinking that elmond is translating the http archive entries to esmond, and that's why this works? So after 5.3 or whenever esmond finally disappears, the WLCG test spec will have to change?

Elmond is a read-only compatibility layer that looks like Esmond at the front but queries OpenSearch behind the scenes.  It was intentionally written that way to encourage people to get rid of their dependencies on Esmond and switch to the new stuff.

HTH.

--Mark