perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 5.0.7 install on AlmaLinux-8

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 5.0.7 install on AlmaLinux-8

  • From: Laurie Zirkle <>
  • To: perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 5.0.7 install on AlmaLinux-8
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:18:15 -0500

We are in the process of installing pS-PerfSONAR on new equipment to replace our current CentOS-7 PerfSONARs.  The first installation is on top of an AlmaLinux-8.9 minimal install; the second will be on top of an AlmaLinux-9.3 minimal install (unfortunately with NetworkManager).  For this first install on AL-8 we manually turned off NetworkManager and used network.service for the network config.  Some things we have noticed while comparing our CentOS-7 5.0.7 and AL-8 5.0.7:
  • the GUI shows NTP synced as NO - probably expected since it's now chronyc; chrony had to be manually configured / enabled / started, so it IS being time-synced
  • the GUI shows auto-updates OFF - the documentation and my inspection of the related files indicate that auto-update is on by default (I could be wrong about this, my experience with EL-8/9 and derivatives is limited)
  • by default selinux is enforcing, after much angst and searching I found a message that said to turn it off; after setting selinux to permissive (and rebooting) editing the config via the GUI could now be saved
  • GUI configuration editing - on CentOS-7 there is a host tab, on AL-8 there is no such tab
  • this is where Internal Addresses, auto-updates and ntp config is set via the GUI - is this permanently gone now?
  • there no longer is an auto-fill choice for latitude/longitude
The pS-PerfSONAR documentation still seems heavily CentOS-7-based, will it be updated for EL -8- and -9- at some point?  Am I just missing some things regarding configuration?  Any help or pointers (even if it's just "hang on we are working on it") would be greatly appreciated.

--
Laurie

  • [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 5.0.7 install on AlmaLinux-8, Laurie Zirkle, 01/23/2024