perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] EL 8/9 Support

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] EL 8/9 Support

  • From: "Fleming, Andy" <>
  • To: Adam Griffith <>, "" <>, Mark Feit <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] EL 8/9 Support
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:49:36 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=anl.gov; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=anl.gov; dkim=pass header.d=anl.gov; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=z7SLnbhUOBnqqRmjDban6ADpX0jc3b/yVcYilGI0x5A=; b=Ft4Af+B9OII9dhjKa+Wc5QcNs7DAjSLOOZW3JUuzSxc/4DfrtjAeWW1GEsVqCmvV5evl6qJOwDhklk6MR1jfQZl9ZFaxLRhLNmpNChjO8rwoVp9bv0bELB5veUFwvowxJoV6S1Hof4eUcGOnm0Vc4e/QW4nf1aiFtDqDEdEYlw54jAQLH2pnqjJW6IqN/BRXfePQhLR6kDOej9D4mgtqbSXtovbY9QDgMtOz9UVRB5c/0YeUaY42/bIIEYrSrY2ghaYAD8LDTTjrUWPkc+2BTBBVFMXVG1OSzsyQKDypaoKW6WzEH3MX8GiFyiKV5C2FOhAq7VC+e5a9W1XBmG6/qg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=hbX77j1+QlChzJ5de1ndPP4W/cEpgVz7I70nFfKRtYhZYnXZOAcP2a/AgiZnQk4KCT2ALJd+HDceSLjRBYXri7IeuEJ68tQRuAzDk4zV6sPLJuy4uO6R/ceYrA8PLjjUUxSSoN4vQjRffHLCYh5L7oySZloY1nIKGrZpI6xKL0QGZt1d+3hBLcON6uJYSnqY+TvsONb1/nv1yUZCvdjMRV9QUjrU7khYjVRTulYc1iplc5kWYMSDJt+a0pFIDEzjcnTqtCbaZ6x9r80fukxOCY+Jn42hamft5JRV1aJ+jcDjq9rUw1HWBwi/mLLtRYtPu8apep8D4Epdtl8e70tdrQ==
  • Msip_labels:

I was expecting EL9 to be released at the same time as EL8.!!!  That is how we have understood the communications.

If its a couple of weeks delay between EL8 and EL9 packages not a big deal, but if its going to be months, then we likely need to move forward on our perfSONAR hardware replacement project with EL8.

We were not wanting to install EL7 which is nearly end of life on brand new hardware (which has now been sitting on the shelf for over a year), so we have been delaying our project till 5.0 was released.  Along the way we found out 5.0 would not initially include EL8, but both EL8 and EL9 would follow in June.  The delay of the packages for EL8 was worth it because we would be able to jump directly to EL9 and have one less thing on our mid term EOL roadmap to deal with.

I know we could run a container, but aside from new hardware just sitting on the shelf, the upgrade hasn't become urgent enough to mess with the containers.

I know things are fluid, but at least by the time you release package for EL8, give us an honest assessment of EL9 package release estimates.  I'd even help test the EL9 packages on the new hardware we have.

Honestly I'm not really sure why anyone would want to run perfSONAR 5.0 on EL8.  You aren't releasing an ISO installer, existing installs on top of EL7 have 5.x packages now.  So that leaves folks replacing hardware or doing a new OS install/re-install.  At this point most professional sysadmins would be starting out with EL9 rather then EL8.  Maybe it would be more reasonable to just focus on EL9 and then worry about EL8?